Bio

Monday, June 3, 2013

UND In SPACE



At the University of North Dakota the Graduate School Office in Twamley Hall where I had to deliver numerous pages of paper work to allow me to graduate.  In the hallway of the 4th floor where the Graduate School Office is, are pictures of notable alumni of UND.   Right across from the door was a picture of Dr. Karen Nyberg, the first and only astronaut to graduate from UND.  Dr. Nyberg is a member of Expedition 36 and currently on-board the ISS.  I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Nyberg when she was training for her mission.  And of course I wore my UND swimming polo and had a nice conversion with her about UND.

About a month and a half before I was attending Expedition 35's 100 day party.  A celebration of an astronaut's breaking of 100 days in space.  This was for Commander Chris Hadifield and Dr. Tom Marshburn.  I was happening to be wearing my UND swimming polo (its on my nominal rotation of polos I wear to work) and Commander Hadifield being a Canadian who had been to Grand Forks, ND struck up a conversation about Grand Forks and UND.  He also told me that he was unpacking Expedition 36's exercise equipment, including Dr. Nyberg's cycling shoes.  He told me he hid a surprise for her in her shoe.  I have no idea what it was, but it might end up being a debrief question.

To bring this story full circle I was on console to support Dr. Nyberg's first workday after she arrived on the ISS.  And of course I was wearing my UND swimming polo that day.

Roughly one year ago I was walking by her picture in the Graduate School Office, now I am watching her on Downlinked Video from ISS at Mission Control.






No comments:

Post a Comment